Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The King Shark

Here's my rough attempt to translate the lyrics to the catchy "Yo Amo a Juan Querendón" theme song, "El Rey Tiburón."

I did this translation very quickly so I am sure there are major mistakes; please point them out! The original Spanish lyrics can be found
here.

(And also, can anyone out there explain what "Cachi cachi bombo" means?)

The King Shark

Everyone calls me the shark fish
The king of the salty seas
Everyone calls me the shark fish
The king, equipped for love

I am defying love
In search of some sirens
I am dying of love
Watch out sirens, he has arrived and he's wild
The shark has arrived

I am the king of the sea (shark)
That would eat you up with kisses
But I am the king of the sea shark
That would eat you up my love
Bombón my siren of love
Watch out for the kiss
Ay, ay, ay ay, ay it's the kiss of love that already reached the shark

They sing life that I am the shark (?)
That I am in love with love
Enchanted by life and enchanted by love
That I am the shark in love
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, ay that would eat you up my love
Bury my teeth in you
My heat

Ay, ay, ay bombón that I would eat you up my love
Watch out sirens he's already arrived
He's wild already arrived the shark
I am the king of the sea the shark
That eats you up with kisses but I am
The king of the sea
Shark that would eat you up my love, ay ay bombón siren
Of love and watch out for the kiss
Ay ay ay ay ay ay the kiss of love has already reached the shark

And the shark comes that has
Everything and everything in his life
That in reality is loneliness
And the shark comes that never
Finds saving in looking

Looking for his imprisoned love
It's already reached already reached the shark

I am the king of the sea (shark)
That would eat you up with kisses
But I am the king of the sea shark
That would eat you up my love
Ay ay ay ay ay ay bombón my siren of love
Watch out for the kiss
Ay ay ay ay ay ay the kiss of love has already reached the shark

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you translate Cachi Cachi Bombo? Well... let me explain it to you this way:

Do you know the christmas song "Deck the Halls"?

If so, how would you translate the phrase "fa la la la la"?

Cachi cachi bombo is sort of like the "fa la la la la" in that song... it's a bunch of words that don't really mean anything but sound good when you sing them.

12:41 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Anonymous, thank you for explaining! -- I thought it might be something like that.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmel, I like the new look of your page, it's fun!

What I would like to know about Cachibombo is this, did the song already exist or was it written for Juan Querendon? Since he and Marely did "the cachibombo" at the disco one night I got the sense that it is a dance song kind of like the Macarena.

I'm glad you watch Juan Querendon from time to time. I am really liking the show, it's a great lighthearted break from the usual dreary telenovela fare.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I like your translation of El Rey Tiburon. I have loved Mana, the band that signs it, for several years now.

1:15 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Sylvia, thank you -- I thought the blog should have a new look for the new show!

I'm watching Juan Querendon every night now. It's a little confusing because I missed the first few weeks, but I'm figuring it out. It's relaxing to watch after the frantic craziness on Duelo. (And my grandmother loves it -- she doesn't speak a word of Spanish but she likes watching Juan!)

The theme song is very good. And that's a good question about Cachibombo -- another very catchy song. Maybe the previous commenter can tell us. If not, I'll try to find some info online.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sirena means mermaid. yes it do mean sirence to but it also means mermaids and i think thats what the song was aming for ^_^

8:18 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I didn't know it also meant mermaid. A siren is a mythological sea-creature that lures men, but that's not as well known as mermaid so I'm sure you're right, I should have gone with mermaid.

I'm confused about all that "bonbon" (chocolate) in the song. It doesn't really seem to fit. Is it a term of endearment?

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bonbon is a term for endearment. it is actually bombón and it means lovely but it can also mean chocolate.

7:41 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I realize this now after hearing Juan call Ivonne "bonbon" so often. I should update these lyrics. Would "honey" be a good way to translate this? Or maybe I should just leave it as "bombón."

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home