Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Monday, October 15, 2007

Juan Querendon recap for Monday, October 15

Fernando told Enrique (using a lot of slang I didn't understand) that he saw Paula kissing Cesar Luis. Enrique thought Fernando was lying, but Fernando said he wouldn't invent a thing like that. They argued over who should tell Juan.

Monica told Paula she wanted to share the vicepresidency if it was OK with Paula. Paula called it an "excellent idea" and asked why Monica cared what Paula thought, since Monica owned the business. Monica said she had never believed in abusing her position. Paula said working together would be no problem.

Alirio told Pastor that several people were responsible for the embezzlement. Pastor looked very worried.

Cesar L. wanted to see Pastor, so Pastor went to his office. Cesar L. started his usual rambling about his problems with Monica and Paula, then asked if Pastor was listening. Pastor said no, sorry, he was worried about his own personal problems. Cesar L. berated Pastor, calling him a cretin and useless. Pastor completely blew his top, shouting at CL to stop insulting him. He said CL wasn't the only person with problems and feelings, and he didn't want to hear any more about Cesar L's romantic tragedies and delayed adolescence(!!)

After yelling at gawking coworkers to get back to work, Pastor went to his office and started packing up his possessions, telling Ivonne he was tired of being treated like a dog and blamed for all Cesar Luis's problems. He wouldn't give up his dignity for anyone. Ivonne told him to wait because Monica's new job at Farell would work out for the best. She said Pastor could help Monica, the "poor, deceived woman" because he had information that Monica didn't have. She reminded Pastor that Monica also owned the business and had the right to say who stayed and who went.

Pastor asked if he should tell Monica the whole truth (about Paula and Cesar Luis). Ivonne congratulated him for understanding, and said, "Monica has a reputation as a samaritan and savior, for me and for others."

Meanwhile Cesar Luis told Monica that Pastor's "hormones were acting up" and he was going to fire Pastor. Later Monica encountered Pastor and told him she was sorry because "employees like you, there aren't many." Pastor asked for 20 minutes of her time in "a more neutral place."

In the garage: Juan, looking distressed, told Enrique about Paula's rejection when he brought her breakfast. Juan said, "Women are never happy with what they have."

Enrique said he had something to tell Juan. "Your novia continues her amores with Cesar Luis." Furious, Juan started choking Enrique, demanding to know who told Enrique that. Finally he let Enrique go and Enrique said, "It was Fernando, pal. He saw them."

Juan immediately confronted Fernando. "Why are you making things up about my novia?" Fernando said it was true, "I saw and heard everything." Juan demanded details, so Fernando said, "I saw them in a tremendous kiss." Still furious, Juan asked if he was sure. Fernando said, "Very sure. I know what this means for you, Juan." Enrique tried to stop Juan, but Juan charged upstairs to confront Paula.

Paula told Marely that she thinks Monica is coming to work at Farell so she can keep an eye on Paula and Cesar Luis. Juan burst into Paula's office and said he had to speak to her. She tried to dismiss him, but he said, "No, it has to be right now!" and hurried Marely out. He asked Paula what was going on between her and Cesar Luis, "and I expect the absolute truth."

Paula refused to answer and said her relationship with Juan was over. (How convenient for her to have this excuse!)

They were briefly interrupted by Monica. After Monica left, Juan asked, "How can we be over?" Paula started crying and said their relationship "wasn't working" and said, "I'm very sorry". Juan grabbed her and demanded, "I'm very sorry?" Paula said, "I've always been an independent woman. My relationships are a disaster."

Juan said he respected her and he was sorry if he sometimes went too far. Paula said they just weren't compatible. Juan told her that someone had seen her with Cesar Luis. Paula screamed to know who it was. (Everyone in the outer office was listening to their argument.) Juan said, "It was just gossip," but finally identified Fernando. Paula the Idiot charged out to confront Fernando.

In the garage, Enrique and Fernando squabbled over whose fault it was that Enrique had told Juan the truth. Paula arrived and yelled at Fernando, "Who gave you permission to meddle in my life? You are a gossip, a little man!" She said more that I didn't catch but seemed to be threatening Fernando in some way.

After she left, Juan told Enrique, "Because of this animal" (ie Fernando) "I committed the greatest error of my life. She cut me off. It's over. Now what am I going to do?"

Meanwhile, Cesar Luis told Ivonne to prepare Pastor's severance papers. Ivonne teased him about Paula's argument with Juan, but Cesar Luis didn't want to hear about it. However, he was interested when Ivonne told him that Pastor had left the office with Monica. Ivonne mocked, "How strange; what are they going to talk about?"

At a restaurant, Monica told Pastor, "I'd like to help you, but it's very difficult. Cesar Luis is very upset with you." Pastor admitted that he'd been rude to Cesar Luis, but called it "a moment of weakness" and asked if it was fair to be "thrown out into the street like a dog" after so many years of work. He said if Monica helped him, he would do whatever she asked him to do.

Monica asked what was going on between Cesar Luis and Paula. Pastor said there was an office rumor that Paula was extremely attracted to Cesar Luis, but he didn't know if Cesar Luis shared the attraction. He offered to investigate. Monica said OK, and she in turn would help Pastor with his problem.

Back at the garage: Juan cried and told Enrique he'd gone through so much to win Paula, only to lose her over stupid gossip. Enrique said Paula didn't feel the same as he did. Juan said he couldn't accept the breakup. "Without this woman, I die. Please, give me a solution, please!"

I missed most of what Enrique said next, but Juan appeared to be listening to his advice. Enrique told Juan to "put the brakes on," and added, "You're blind. You can't see reality."

Paula stalked into Cesar L's office and said she had to talk to him seriously about his wife. She told him Monica was suspicious of them and was looking for information. Cesar Luis said, "You're paranoid." Paula called him an "expert liar" and said that wasn't an insult, just a description. She said she wasn't as experienced at lying and might end up telling Monica the truth.

Cesar Luis asked, "What if I tell her the truth?" Paula retorted, "Don't make me laugh. You're not enough of a man to do that."

Paula then told Marely she was going to buy a car, after all. Marely asked about Juan, and Paula said their relationship was over.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeow - what a fire cracker of an episode. I can't wait to play it back tonight. Thanks again for the recap to put it all in perspective!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

You're welcome! Sure was a lot going on in this episode! My recap tomorrow will probably be my last for a while.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huy!!! Way to go Pastor! I clapped and hooted for him; my boyfriend thought I was crazy.

Paula made it sound like her independence was the cause of her disastrous relationships. Someone should tell her they are NOT mutually exclusive. As Caray commenter Lori has noted, Paula is a stoopid cow.

Is it just me or was Juan a little scary when he got angry?

Excellent recap Carmel, there was a ton of conversation in this episode. It's a challenge to translate this telenovela, isn't it?

(Any chance you could make Thurs. your last night? I am recapping tonight for Amanda on Caray because I will have houseguests on Thursday and cannot do the recap that night. I don't think anyone is going to be able to do it over on Caray.)

10:17 AM  
Blogger NONE said...

Yes, I'll do the Juan recap on Thursday for you, but it will have to be the kind I'm doing here, very quick.

Do you want me to post it on Caray Caray? I still have access over there, so I can do that, if it's OK with Melinama. Or just give them a link to my blog, whatever you prefer.

As for the Monday episode -- YES I thought Juan was very scary. Especially the way he strangled Enrique. That wasn't right. We're seeing a dark side of Juan.

I also cheered for Pastor. Cesar Luis had it coming. As for Paula... I haven't seen any sign of this famous independence of hers. Unless "getting ahead by wearing skimpy clothes" is the new definition of indepence. Stoopid cow is right!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Carmel! You're the best. I'm sure Melinama would be totally fine with you posting it yourself on Caray Caray if you would consent to do that. Also, I think it's fun and different to have guest-recappers from time to time. I've always really enjoyed your recapping style and I know your fans would enjoy seeing your post on Caray.

4:37 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

OK, consider it done.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home