Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Monday, October 08, 2007

Juan Querendon recap for Monday, October 8

Note: I'm not going to do this regularly (no time), but for the next week or so I will be writing recaps of "Yo Amo a Juan Querendon" for my grandmother, so I might as well post them here on the blog for anyone else who might enjoy them!

I'm doing these quickly and I'm not good with all the slang on this show, so apologies in advance for any mistakes.


Juan boasted to Enrique about being Paula's novio (official boyfriend). Enrique called Juan his "hero" and his "idol." Juan said he wanted to prove himself to Paula by going to school and getting a good career.

Paula told Marely she cares about Juan, likes him, but doesn't feel the same as he feels about her. Marely urged her to tell Juan the truth, but Paula said all she can think about is her anger at Cesar Luis, which makes her do things she later regrets. She can't stand to break Juan's heart.

Meanwhile, Juan hinted to Enrique that he and Paula would marry. He daydreamed that they were telling Ana about their engagement, that Juan had signed some big business deals, that they were going to build their dream house and wanted Ana to live with them.

Monica went home to the apartment and told Chelo (the maid) that she thinks Cesar Luis is in love with Paula because he gets so upset at any mention of Paula's relationship with Juan. Chelo asked if anything is going on between Cesar L. and Paula. Monica said she doesn't think so because Paula is a "serious woman" (ha!) and in love with Juan.

Pastor met Gomez for lunch. Gomez reminded Pastor that he bought his mother's house with Farell company money. Pastor asked if Gomez intended to blackmail him. Gomez said no, but Alirio did. Pastor was shocked. He asked Gomez if he was going to tell Alirio that Pastor was his accomplice. Gomez said, "Things have changed since I left Farell. I'm short on cash. We'll have to renegotiate our deal."

Ana told Nidia that Juan is in love with Paula, but Paula is only using him to make Cesar Luis jealous. Nidia said men like Cesar L. should be locked up. Ana said she was worried about Juan and asked Nidia to open his eyes about Paula.

Fernando tried to help Juan with his homework, but Juan said he couldn't concentrate because he was thinking about Paula. They had a squabble. Enrique admonished Juan, saying Fernando is the only one who can help them.

Before leaving work, Marely congratulated Juan on giving Paula the ring. Juan was pleased for a moment, then embarrassed because he realized Marely had recognized the ring (the same one he gave her). He tried to talk to Marely but she left without listening.

By the way, it turns out Marely is also attending night classes, because Juan asked if she was going to school and she said not today, she doesn't have the energy.

Juan went into Paula's office to ask her out. She said she had to work late and would take a taxi home. Before Juan left, he surprised Paula by kissing her. After he left, she smiled as if pleased by the kiss.

Cesar L. angrily told Pastor that everyone in the office was staring at him (Cesar L) as if he were a circus monkey. He accused Pastor of spreading stories about him and Paula. Pastor denied it and said Paula had been making a public spectacle of her relationship with Juan.

Juan got confused while explaining an equation to the class at school, but his teacher praised him anyway. Juan mused that she was crazy for him and the situation could become a nightmare.

After class, the teacher asked to speak to Juan. He tried to get Enrique to stay, too, but the teacher threw Enrique out of the room, then asked Juan to go out with her. Juan asked his "papa little God" why the teacher was so irresistible, but managed to turn her down, saying he was committed to someone else and wanted to remain faithful and loyal. The teacher glared at him.

Juan told Enrique that the teacher was angry, but said they wouldn't fail the class because the Sainted Child of Atocha would help both of them.

Pastor admitted to Ivonne that he bought his house, car, and a European vacation with his ill-gotten gains. If he's found out, he'll go straight to jail and die there of fear. He said his mother would also die, adding, "Imagine the shame." He begged Ivonne to help him figure out what to do. She told him to go home and rest so he can think about it tomorrow.

After everyone else left work, Cesar L. went to Paula's office and invited her out for a drink. She refused. He said she was afraid her real feelings would betray her, then said he had made "unforgiveable mistakes" but he truly loved her. He began kissing her and Paula of course went along with it. They ended up on the couch together. Cesar L. said he would prove that her love for Juan was "nothing more than a circus."


Meanwhile Fernando, who apparently came upstairs to see if Cesar L. wanted a ride home, looked through the glass on the office door and saw them together. Uh oh. Will he tell Juan?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Carmel! I missed most of this episode including the conversation between Pastor and Gomez. My oh my, so Pastor is the accomplice, eh? The thought entered my mind at one time but I pooh-poohed it because I thought he was a real company man. I'm really glad you recapped this episode because this thing between Pastor and Gomez seems important. Also, I wondered why Juan's teacher had cooled so much to him.

I did get to see Fernando peeking through the door at CL and Paula. I think those peekaboo doors at Farell Industries are a real liability. I wonder if he'll tell?

Thanks Carmel, great recap!

12:58 AM  
Blogger NONE said...

I'm glad you saw the recap and found it useful! When I think of all those Piel de Otono and Peregrina recaps I emailed to my grandmother before I had the blog... too bad it took me so long to think of posting them online.

I'm really surprised that Pastor did something so dishonest. He doesn't seem like such a bad guy to me. Well, maybe that's the writers established him as a not-terrible person before revealing this secret of his.

I really love this show. I'm glad now that it's in the 7 PM ET time slot instead of Amar Sin Limites. It's such a nice change of pace after Duelo.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmel - thank you so much for the post. You did a wonderful job. If it wasn't for all the translators I'd be totally lost. I'm hoping at some point I'll start understanding more on my own.

I think a lot happens on Mondays and I really appreciate your recap.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Schoolmarm said...

Carmel, wow, thanks for this recap! You did a great job! I saw it and unless I'm recapping, I don't sit and translate all the slang, either.

Jeanne

9:49 PM  
Blogger Schoolmarm said...

And, I'm surprised by Pastor, too. I wouldn't have guessed it of him. But, CL doesn't treat him well, so I suppose he might have just rationalized to himself (Pastor).

Jeanne

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a theme that plays itself out in almost every telenovela that I've seen (not that my experience is vast by any stretch of the imagination)...the boss or person in charge treats their underlings like complete crapola then they are shocked when people start turning on them.

10:05 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Jeanne, I thought the same thing, Pastor probably felt justified because of the way CL treats him. I can't wait to see everyone start turning on Cesar L.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home