Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My better-late-than-never rehash of Duelo de Pasiones - Part 1

By the time "Duelo de Pasiones" ended, I was fed up with its silliness and didn't want to think about it anymore, but enough time has passed that I am -- yes -- actually starting to feel nostalgic for the good old days with all the crazies in Sierra Escondida. But not so much so that I want to think about them for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

So, while I'm finally going to do my own little Duelo de Pasiones awards show to applaud the good things about the show (Maximo and Gaspar) and hiss the bad (the writing, and every expression Emilio never had on his face), I'm going to break it up into several parts so I don't overdose on Duelo again. (Sorry if that didn't make any sense. I'm in the mood for run-on sentences.)

Let's begin with... BEST ACTOR. And the winner is: Pablo Montero as Emilio! Ha, just kidding. No, I'm going with Sergio Goyri as crazy villain Alvaro Montellano, better known on the Caray Caray blog as Don Loco.

As I mentioned above, I think this show was badly written, but I always found Alvaro believable, and at times I even felt sorry for him. And that's thanks to Sergio Goyri. What I remember most about Alvaro, the supposedly all-powerful, was the pathetic way he confided his anxieties about his wife Soledad to his traitorous underling Hugo and his traitorous neighbor Maximo. Who else could poor crazy Alvaro turn to? He had no friends. And it's no wonder, given his bad behavior, but Sergio Goyri made me think his loneliness was a sad thing. Good work, Mr. Goyri.

RUNNER UP FOR BEST ACTOR: Rene Gómez (Intocable) as Gaspar. He was the only character I never got tired of -- well, almost never. I don't know whether people who sustain brain damage as adults really talk in that childish way(?) but I certainly found Gaspar believable as a retarded person. In fact, at first I assumed the actor must be retarded himself because he was so believable. How can any grown man have such a sweet, innocent smile? That's good acting. I know Intocable is a pro wrestler, but I hope he continues to act.

WORST ACTOR: Clearly that would be Pablo Montero as Emilio. All he did was stand around looking vaguely pained. He was good at that. I could give him an award for that. But I'm not going to.

RUNNER UP FOR WORST ACTOR: David Ostrosky as Elías. Not that I actually thought he was bad. He was OK, especially in the scene when he found Blanca's body. But I think I was actually supposed to like Elias. Wasn't I? Even his love interest, Soledad, seemed to find him creepy, and I have to agree with her on that.

Maybe this was a case of poor casting. And there were probably worse actors on Duelo that I'm forgetting. Tell me what you think of my choices in the comments section, please.

To be continued (eventually)...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are frickin' RIGHT ON. No sense in me posting awards, because I'd simply need to copy and paste yours. LOL

A beautiful job so far, Carmel! Looking forward to the continuation...

Okay. I miss DUELO too, now. I admit it in writing, damn it.
:-)

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Duelo too. Why? Because it was a blast to recap. It's extreme silliness gave us endless fodder for mocking. Lord how I miss that. Luckily I'm now recapping Juan Querendon which is fun but very difficult due to the endless dichos. I don't even try to get them all any more.

Hey, speaking of Duelo, did you see the picture I posted of my friend Susan's new doggie? She named her Tonki! Click onto the Duelo link on the sidebar and it's the most recent Duelo post (posted last week).

2:20 AM  
Blogger NONE said...

Haha, Tonki forever! I'll go look for that picture now.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ferro94 said...

Nice work Carmel. The only other actor I'd single out is the guy who played Maximo, he was very good in his role and very believable.
Emilioooo definitely wins as worst actor, I'm sure Montero's manager is trying to 'grow the brand' or something but he has no business acting.
The award for totally getting screwed by the writers goes to Gaspar. I don't think I loved him as much as the other viewers/recappers, perhaps because he was a man and I'm more interested in boobs and stuff like that, but man did he get screwed over in the end. Totally.

12:06 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

I'm hoping to dream up an appropriate special award for Maximo, because I think he's in a category all by himself. He was truly my favorite thing about Duelo.

I'll try to post part 2 of my awards ceremony later this week or this weekend.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home