Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Heridas de Amor - Episode 9

Cesar argued with Fabricio, telling him, "It's thanks to you that Gonzalo treats me worse than a servant!"

Their mother, Rebeca, was upset by their argument. Fabricio told her that he wants her to come live with him and Florencia after they return from their honeymoon. Cesar objected to this, and Fabricio said, "It is my mother's house!" Cesar sneered, "No, boy. Legally the country house (quinta) and this house are mine."

Rebeca asked Fab. to stop arguing with Cesar, saying, "He is your brother!" but Fabricio said, "He is not my brother. He is a disgrace!" He assured his mother, "While I am here, you are not going to lack for anything, I promise."

Tomasa told Miranda that before Fernanda married Gonzalo, she loved another man. Bertha found out about it and told Miranda's grandfather, who told Gonzalo, but Gonzalo still loved Fernanda. Miranda said angrily that her mother abandoned her family for this other man, and Tomasa said, "Don't speak with such hatred."

Gonzalo told all three of his daughters, "I was never the father I should be. I was the father I could be. Forgive me for not giving you the attention you needed."

Renata asked, "Why are you telling us this?" and Gonzalo replied, "Because there's something you should know. Your mother did not disappear." Renata said, "We already know. Aunt Bertha told us that she abandoned us for another man." Florencia said, "For years we suffered due to her betrayal."

I had trouble understanding this part but I think(?) Gonzalo told them Fernanda did not leave for another man, and Renata said, "Then why has she never returned?" I didn't understand Gonzalo's reply.

Meanwhile Fernanda's friend Amparo was telling Fernanda not to blame herself for leaving her daughters, that she only did it so Gonzalo wouldn't kill her.

Fernanda remembered telling Alejandro's father, Alfredo, that she did not love him because she was in love with Gonzalo, who was "a great man and a spectacular father." Alfredo insisted, "Together we will revive our love," and kissed her against her will. Then Gonzalo came in, saw them, and assumed wrongly that Alfredo was Fernanda's lover, refusing to listen to Fernanda's explanations.

Amparo commented that someone must have told Gonzalo that Fernanda was meeting Alfredo that night. (That would be Bertha, no doubt.)

Fernanda went to Amparo's house for dinner. Some man and three sons were there. Fernanda is the godmother of one or more of the sons. I had trouble understanding what was going on, but I gather that the man doesn't make much money because he wants a quiet life.

One of the sons, Juan, seemed to be urging the others to leave town to find work elsewhere. The father was upset and said, "It's my fault!" The sons said no, that he's the best father in the barrio. Juan said he simply wants a better life. Fernanda apparently talked him out of leaving.

Later their father told Amparo, "I will not permit my sons to go to another place," and said something about "selling the factory" (or something like that???) Whatever his plan was, Amparo agreed.

After seeing Fabricio and Florencia become engaged, Miranda ran away in tears. Alejandro followed and told her, "You are a strong woman."

Miranda replied, "I am not strong. I am only a ghost. You are a man. You can't understand the heart of a woman." Then she said something about "wounds of love." Alejandro said, "Then wound me. I want to know what you're talking about," and kissed her.

At that moment, Pamela was telling Renata that she's in love with Alejandro. Renata gleefully pointed out that Alejandro was kissing Miranda.

As they were leaving the party, Miranda told Florencia, "I want with all my heart that you are happy." Fabricio asked, "And me?" and Miranda said, "Also you. I wish you all the happiness in the world."

The next day, Julio told Gonzalo he was worried about the London stock exchange. Gonzalo seemed to shrug that off. Later, at the office, Alejandro encouraged Gonzalo to move his investments somewhere. Julio said it was dangerous, but Gonzalo dismissed his objections.

Cesar told Fab., "I am going to live in the country house with Miranda when we are married." Fabricio said, "You're dreaming!" Before he left, he warned Cesar, "I'm not as good or as stupid as you think."

Florencia said she can't eat because she has no appetite and is always nauseous. Miranda said she will take Florencia right away to a doctor "that Alejandro recommends." (Probably Fernanda.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home