Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hey, I like Juan Soler

Poor old Juan Soler. He plays Aldo, Lety's new love interest, on La Fea Mas Bella, and he's taking a beating from some of the commenters at Caray Caray, who don't like any rival challenging Fernando for Lety's affections!

I adore the gorgeous Jaime Camil as much as the next Fernando-worshipper, but if there's anyone I think makes an acceptable rival for him, it's Juan Soler. I first saw him as Gabriel in "Apuesta por un Amor." Actually, I only saw the last few weeks or months of that show, and I understood very little Spanish then, so I didn't know why Gabriel's wife Julia was giving him the cold shoulder -- now that I've seen the entire telenovela condensed on DVD, I know Gabriel deserved it -- but I felt sorry for the poor guy, who kept following her around with puppy dog eyes and imploring "Juuuuulia, te amo!"

He and his rarely buttoned shirt had a lot to do with my rapid addiction to telenovelas. So I was surprised and delighted when he turned up on La Fea Mas Bella as a very different character, the loopy New Age chef guy, Aldo.


No, of course I don't want Aldo to end up with Lety, and of course he can't hold a candle to Fernando. After seeing Fernando crying over his screen-saver of Lety, of course I want to marry him myself. Since he's fictional and that's impossible, I'll settle for him marrying Lety. Give it up, Aldo, she belongs to Fernando and you have no prayer.

But poor old Aldo. I feel sorry for him. I'm surprised everyone doesn't. To me, he seems like such a nice, sunny, good-natured guy. I'd be really surprised if Juan Soler isn't a nice guy in real life. OK, maybe he isn't. I'm very star-struck when it comes to telenovela actors so my judgement is questionable. But I like Juan Soler, capped teeth, '80s haircut and all, and in his honor, here are a few links about His Handsomeness:

Wikipedia - Juan Soler (this one's in English)
Esmas - Juan Soler
Juan Soler Picture Gallery (good photos here!)
IMDB - Juan Soler

An additional note: The first comment below is from someone in Mexico who mentions events from the show that we haven't seen in the U.S. yet. So skip reading that comment if you don't want to know. (Blogger won't let me edit it.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like jauan soler the actor I liked him since he was on the cover of eres. He is funny and why not I like his smile

He playes charming guys well even if he has a reputation of being a bit distant with his fans and the press.

"aldo" bothers me not only because he reivals fernando but because he has been a flawed character's frpm the beining. That isnt the actor's fault its the writers fault.

He is too perfect his acts as moral arbitrator and he has somthing dark something not honest in his pononality that I cannot seem to desern since acapulco. The writers want us to se him as the antithesis of fer but I see him a sinner that in buying conceptos debt buys letty's heart and blackmails her into having to refuse fermando. From then on he acts more synical and despoctic towards fer and more like a sheep in wolves clothing twoards letty. He contratic's his own saying " el amor es libetad" if there are shadow protagonists he is a what I see as a shadow antagonist even more deceptive than ariel villaroel.

I was a michelista in the origial but now I strongly dislike aldo "domenzonin" with all my heart.

If you want to discuss
my email is
taniafaazevedo@yahoo.com.mx

7:20 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Tania, I think we are about about three months behind in the episodes we're viewing here in the U.S., so I didn't know Aldo did these things!

I don't want to know too much about what's going to happen next in the story, but what you've said is very interesting. I know what you mean about Aldo having a dark side to his character. He seems to have become attached to Letty a little too quickly.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Ferro94 said...

I think if you go to your profile in Blogger, Carmel, you can go to the settings tab for this blog and choose to enable comment moderation. I think that will let you edit comments. I know it will let you delete them, but I think it will let you edit them too.

4:27 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

According to Blogger's FAQ, comments can't be edited (what is Blogger thinking with this!!!) Maybe it is possible with the new version of Blogger. I'm a little nervous about changing over though because once I do, I can't go back. Have you tried the new Blogger yet?

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ferro94 said...

No, not yet. I keep meaning to do it but then never take the time to do it.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home