Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Friday, January 19, 2007

Still more Duelo de Pasiones character names

HUGO is Alvaro's bandanna-wearing servant. (Thank you to Sylvia for clarifying this for me.)

SERGIO is the non-bandanna wearing servant who was standing guard over Soledad.

GASPAR is Luba's son.

MAXIMO is Emilio and Angel's uncle. He is a neighbor of Alvaro, and appears not to be a nice guy.

Maybe it's just me, but I keep thinking I've heard some of the incidental music in this show before. Maybe on Piel de Otoño?

Speaking of my favorite telenovela, I've now recognize four Piel de Otoño actors in Duelo de Pasiones: (1) Sergio Goyri (Alvaro), of course; he was Ramon in Piel. (2) Joana Brito (Adela), who was Jovita in Piel. (3) Alejandro Ávila (Orlando), who was Bruno in Piel; and (4) Jorge de Silva (José), who was Eduardo in Piel.

I didn't recognize Jorge De Silva until yesterday, which is surprising, but he looks quite different (and much better) as Jose than he did as Eduardo.

Words/phrases from Friday's episode of Duelo de Pasiones:
testigo = witness
no quise = I didn't want to
remolino de agua = whirlpool
esconder = to hide
pantano = marsh
Suiza = Switzerland


.. And "the ends of the earth" apparently = not very far, since Emilio abandoned his quest to find Alina so easily!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your recap on Caray Caray. It caused quite a flurry of comments didn't it? I think everyone agrees that the vocab words at the end are a fun and helpful addition. You've started a trend!

Emilio - what an ass. After being such a "mujeriego" and "rompecorazones" he has the nerve to whine about Alina? He's no prize.

11:27 AM  
Blogger NONE said...

Oh, good point! And he seems overly fixated on Alina's purity, doesn't he?

It's interesting that weak or flawed heroes seem to be a key feature of many telenovelas.

I'm pleased that people like the vocabulary words because I was afraid it would seem silly. But it helps me to scribble down words and phrases while I watch, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised if others find it helpful, too!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Ferro94 said...

I like the vocabulary words too. I was going to put some on my recap Friday, but I forgot until after I had watched the show, then I couldn't remember what was new. I think all that scene-jumping made me dizzy.

4:34 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Personally I don't look for words that are new to the show, just words or phrases that I had to write down and look up later (and there are a lot of those)!

I hope they slow down the pace. Fast-paced is good, but not THIS fast-paced. Right now I don't feel I'm getting to know the characters at all.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home