Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Best and worst actors of Heridas de Amor

Now that I have (somewhat) gotten over being disgruntled about the extreme lameness of the last episode, here are some thoughts on Heridas de Amor:

BEST ACTRESS: Diana Bracho (Bertha). She made a ridiculously over-the-top character believable, and I enjoyed watching Bertha turn from a seemingly sweet lady into a raving maniac.

Runner up for best actress: Nuria Bages (Fernanda). She managed not to annoy me even though all she did was cry (and pronounce death sentences on all her patients). Good work.

BEST ACTOR: Sergio Sendel (Cesar). This isn't really fair to the other actors because I tend to prefer villains. All Cesar did was snarl, cry a little, and then snarl again. But he genuinely gave me the creeps. If these characters were real, I'd rather meet Bertha than Cesar. I wouldn't even want to pass Cesar on the street. So I call that good acting.

Runner up for best actor: Ernesto D'Alessio (Juan). I'm sure this will be a controversial choice, but this guy deserves a medal for convincing me that he, or anyone else on this earth, could love and worship that snivelling idiot Renata.

Which brings me to... WORST ACTRESS: Ingrid Martz (Renata). It's not her fault that the character was so poorly written, but she did nothing to make me like Renata. From the first episode to the last, all I wanted to do was slap her.

WORST ACTOR: Luis Xavier (Roman). Again, maybe the actor is not to blame. Maybe it was just bad casting. But I never believed that he really loved Amparo. There was zero chemistry between them.

Now for the most important categories of all:

BEST HAIR (FEMALE): Susana González (Liliana). I hated the character but loved her hair. (Miranda's hair was far too fussy for my taste.)


WORST HAIR (FEMALE): Paola Riquelme (Erica). Hideous hair cut!

BEST HAIR (MALE): This award goes to Guy Ecker (Alejandro) because he was the only male actor who seemed to have any chest hair.

WORST HAIR (MALE): Marcelo Córdoba (Daniel). It looked to me like he was wearing a wig.

I have a lot more to say about this show, but I'll save it for my next blog post. If you agree or disagree with my comments about the actors, please let me know!

6 Comments:

Blogger Arkibel said...

Good choices on the best/worst of Heridas.

Only one I disagree with is Luis Xavier (Roman). Thought he did a nice job even though it was hard to believe the love interest angle. Perhaps it is his voice, I really liked it.

This was the worst novelas ever, good actors, horrible story line.

I'm going to stop watching novelas for a short while. I'm hoping the Zorro telenovela on Telemundo will be a good one. Not sure when it will start, but I'll be checking for it.

Again, enjoyed your writings, excellent job@

9:09 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

I agree -- I find Luis Xavier pleasant to watch, too. It was only his relationship with Amparo that I didn't believe. I also saw him in Piel de Otono and did find him believable in that role.

I also agree that this was a pretty bad telenovela overall!

Thank you for your comments, and I hope you'll come back when you get interested in telenovelas again!!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmel, you did an outstanding job recapping Heridas nightly! I absolutely agree with Diana Bracho as best actress. I was amazed at how her character spiralled out of control while still remaining believable.

One of my biggest gripes about this program is that very few characters seemed to grow and/or progress, except for Bertha and Cesar (and they progressed downward). Anytime one of them looked like they might be going somewhere or learning something they got bumped off (Gonzalo and Lasagna). Oddly enough, the only character that seemed to experience any kind of personality growth was Renata. Too bad the actress was awful. My friend at work said Ingrid Martz is always the worst. Go figure.

Zorro telenovela? Can't wait!

Gotta run, I'll read your most recent post later and report back.

Again, GREAT JOB!!

10:35 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Thank you so much, Sylvia -- without your encouragement, I don't think I would have stuck with the recaps for the whole show!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Ferro94 said...

Zorro novela? Count me in. I'm hoping for any action at all from Duelo, something swashbuckling would be such a welcome change. Carmen I couldn't agree more with your worst hair award. I think that may the worst hair I've ever seen on TV that wasn't intentionally bad. That poor actress had to go out in public like that when she wasn't shooting the show. She deserves something extra for that. Maybe that's why she got written out of the show? The focus groups kept puking when they saw her hair so they wrote her out. Or she quit out of shame. Also, as a hairy-chested man myself, I appreciate the love for the chest hair. A couple extra awards - Hottest babe on the show: Pamela, no contest. Liliana was hot too but Pamela's character had self-confidence where Babe Lawyer did not, making Pamela infinitely hotter. Biggest idiot, male: Luis Alberto. First, short skinny guys can't have that huge head of hair, it makes them look like a bobblehead. Second, this guy got duped by Cesar, then made the unforgiveable mistake of falling for the hot but way messed up in the head chick from the office. Horrible move, didn't we all learn back in high school and college that these messed up people never change? You are doomed to a lifetime of snot-nosed whining from your woman now LA, congrats. Biggest idiot, woman: Miranda. Renata may be a more popular choice, but at one point she seemed to be getting her head straight, Miranda never did. She just bounced from one person to the next, believed everything anybody told her, hated people one minute and loved them the next, or vice versa, kept whimpering after that loser Fabricio after he confessed to nailing her sister for years and dumping her. She takes the cake. This has been quite an entry, sorry for the length but I got on a roll. If you've read my recaps this won't surprise you. Thanks for the good posts/opinions!

1:48 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Ferro, thank you for the comments -- it's great to get a male perspective. Chest hair forever!

I can't judge female hotness, but I did think Pamela was the prettiest, so maybe that's the same thing. Nuria is also very pretty.

I think the actor who played Cesar is very attractive, but I can't pick him for hottest male since Cesar turned out to be such a psycho, so I guess my choice for hottest male would be Alejandro. I don't swoon for him, but he's good looking (especially when he wears black), although it was obvious he was way too old for Miranda.

I thought Luis Alberto was a weasel and I felt sorry for Nuria because she ended up with him. I thought she was a bit simple-minded, poor thing.

My biggest male idiot award would go to Fabricio because he could never make up his mind what he wanted.

Biggest female idiot: I've got to go with Renata again, but you make some good points about Miranda. She didn't seem to use her brain. I have to agree with Sylvia that the characters didn't grow, and that was a big weakness of this show.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home