Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Duelo de Pasiones: A few notes

Here are a few notes about the first episode of Duelo de Pasiones:

ÁLVARO is the guy who threatened his wife at the beginning of the show (played by Sergio Goyri, who was so great as Ramon on Piel deo Otoño).

SOLDEDAD is his wife. They live in Veracruz.

ADELA is Soledad's servant (played by Joana Brito, who also played Jovita on Piel deo Otoño).

ALINA is their daughter (the girl who went to a party later in the episode and met the handsome singer).

BLANCA is Alina's godmother.

MARIANA is Alvaro's sister. She's the one who had to rush her lover out of the house when Alvaro came looking for him.

JOSÉ is Mariana's lover (or husband? Not clear to me). She's going to have his baby, unless I misunderstood that part. They appear to already have another child together. Alvaro thinks he's Soledad's lover based on a love letter that was given to him by...

ALFONSINA, who calls Alvaro "boss" but apparently is his girlfriend, too. (I didn't catch the name of the male servant who told her that Alvaro is merely amusing himself with her.)

EMILIO is the handsome singer in the soldier's uniform. (Played by Pablo Montero, a famous singer.)

ÁNGEL is Emilio's cute, constantly coughing brother.

THELMA is the young woman who seems to be Emilio's ex-girlfriend.

Words/phrases from this episode:
huir = to flee
tremendo = terrible
piedad = piety
apuesto = good-looking
sacarme de aquí = let me out of here
no me encierres = don't lock me up
fijate = pay attention
menospreciar = undervalue

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the characters and a brief description. This will help me a lot in tonight's recap, especially since I stupidly forgot to re-program Tivo for Duelo and I missed last night's episode! This will make a perfect cheat sheet, thanks!!

11:01 AM  
Blogger NONE said...

You're welcome! I hoped it might help someone out, as well as helping me sort everything out in my mind!

It was a good episode last night, very fast paced. A promising start.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home