Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Heridas de Amor - Episode 77

Pamela insisted to Fermin that, aside from his white hair and beard, Leonardo looks like her father's photograph. She said, "I am afraid because I don't know if the man in my house is my father or not!" Fermin said he doesn't want to get involved because he has a family to protect but he'll try to help her.

Alejandro told Bertha his father never loved her, only mentioned her once or twice with contempt. Upset, she called Alejandro a "romantic imbecile" for loving Miranda, saying his love has brought him only pain. Alejandro replied, "They are wounds of love, something you would never understand."

Bertha said, "You are going to be sorry, Alejandro! Take it as an opening declaration of war!" After she left, Alejandro told Daira and Luciano he's not afraid of Bertha, "That's what she wants from her victims."

Florencia told Fabricio she's sure Bertha killed the German doctors. She told Renata that their mother left home years ago because Gonzalo said he would kill their daughters if she didn't go.

Renata protested, "That can't be true" because Bertha told her otherwise. Florencia told her not to believe Bertha, and Renata said, "She adores us. How can you talk this way about her?"

Florencia said she doesn't have much time before she dies and she wants Renata to give their mother a chance. Renata refused to believe Bertha killed the German doctors but promised not to tell Bertha about the conversation.

In the hospital hallway, Renata met Fernanda and said she hates her because when she was a child Fernanda never came to Renata's school on parents' days. Renata whined, "Give me a pill or medicine that will take away this pain!" then ran away, leaving Fernanda in tears.

Gabino told Miranda he doesn't trust Nati, that Nati should leave the hacienda because she's a "nahuac" (I don't know what that means) and a witch. Miranda said women don't need witchcraft to get things done, "Nati simply prepares the chocolate with love."

Later Miranda asked Nati what she puts in the chocolate. Nati said, "Secrets of the gods." Miranda said, "Oh, Nati, there's no such thing."

Gavino gave Miranda a gun and said she might need it. I think he told her to lock the hacienda doors.

Santiago told Fernanda he knows who Tomasa's daughter is and where to find her. (I don't know where he got this information.) Fernanda wondered how they can prove that Nuria is Bertha's daughter, then said, "Miranda is the only one who can help us." (I don't know what she expects Miranda to do.)

Luciano got a phone call from Italy. Apparently Bertha sued Alejandro, and therefore Alejandro's assets were frozen. Alejandro said, "It is the first attack!" Somehow Luciano transferred Alejandro's money into his own account (I think), then Alejandro told him to put the money where no one can touch it until Miranda has a child.

Bertha agreed to give some of Alejandro's money to Cesar in exchange for shares in San Llorente Investments. Bertha said she wants to make Alejandro suffer terribly through Daira and Lisania, and "Miranda has to suffer as much or more."

Cesar didn't like the idea of making Miranda suffer, but Bertha said he should go along with it because Miranda has rejected him for years. Cesar agreed, "As you like; only tell me every detail."

They drank and cried together. Cesar remembered Miranda's wedding day, saying, "Coming down the stairs, Miranda looked not like a bride, but an angel. But not for me, Bertha. If Miranda suffers, Alejandro has to suffer, too."


Bertha cried, "He despises me, the bastard, like his father." Cesar asked, "Is that why you killed him?" Bertha said no, she never wanted to kill Alfredo, "I wanted to kill Fernanda, but I failed!"

Lisania arrived and told Cesar, "Alejandro and Luciano have found a way to get rid of Bertha." Bertha pulled a knife on Lisania and demanded to know what they were planning.

Lisania said, "In my father's will there was a clause that came into effect when Alejandro married, invalidating the documents in my father's portfolio." She said something about Alejandro's money being protected and frozen, "In short, Miranda needs to have Alejandro's child."

Bertha shrieked, "That can't ever happen!" and departed. Cesar snarled at Lisania, "Stupid girl! You never should have told Bertha that. Now you're going to pay for everything!" and took off his belt to hit her.


Some words from this episode:

tampoco = neither (I always forget this one)
perfil = profile
pecho = chest, breast
fe = faith
desprecio = scorn, contempt
desconfiar = to distrust

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked up "nahuac" in my dictionary and that precise word wasn't in it. The entry "nahua" was translated as Nahuatl, the indigenous or aztec people. But I think the closed-captioning lied to us. I think Gabino said "nagual" which is translated as sorcerer or wizard, which would make sense.

I know what you mean about "tampoco." I'm always getting the indefinite words and their negatives mixed up. So much to remember! Great recap, a lot happened in this episode.

9:34 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Aha, thank you! Both those possible explanations make sense.

I don't know what it is with me and "tampoco." I've looked it up a hundred times but my brain just won't remember it. Maybe putting a few words at the end of each blog entry will help me get them into my head and KEEP them there.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home