Trying to Translate

I'm trying to learn Spanish by watching telenovelas. Please share your comments about the shows, too. I know I'm not the only English-speaking person who's hooked on telenovelas!

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Heridas de Amor - Episode 106

Alejandro told Liliana that her daughter, Sofia, reminds him of his sister Lisania. He asked who Sofia's father is. Liliana said, "I'm my daughter's father."

She told Alejandro all she wants to do in life is work and set an example for her daughter. Alejandro said, "You have done good things for me," and Liliana replied, "I do things because you pay me."

Alejandro said he wants them to be friends and asked her not to separate him from her daughter. Liliana said he should go home and tell Miranda that he has eyes only for her. After he left, Liliana cried.

Fabricio told Cesar that Bertha and Guapo kidnapped him. Cesar asked, "Why are you telling me this?" and Fabricio said, "Because you are my brother."

Cesar remarked that he doesn't believe Florencia really has a heart problem because she's lived through so much. Then he said sarcastically that he likes hearing Fabricio's problems but "I have things to do," and told Fabricio he should instead bring his problems to Father Santiago or a psychiatrist.

As Cesar was trying to rush Fabricio out of his apartment, Bertha arrived. Fabricio said, "You have my son, Bertha! Give him back!" Bertha slapped him and said he'll never see little Enrique again if he lets Fernanda throw her out of the house.

Fabricio looked at Cesar, who wasn't doing anything to help him, and said, "You are her accomplice, Cesar? I can't believe it! We are brothers!" Bertha told him not to be melodramatic. She also made some crack about this not being a telenovela (I thought that was funny). Fabricio told Cesar to give back the money and jewels he took from their mother for ransom.

After Fabricio left, Bertha snickered about Cesar having tricked his mother out of her jewels. Cesar said he needed the money for his business. Bertha got serious and asked him, "When people talk about wounds of love, what are they talking about? What is a wound of love?"

Cesar said, "I don't know," that people talk about wounds of love because they are "stupid romantics." He said Lisania and Nuria stayed with him because they were maschoists, but no one had ever loved him. He and Bertha cried together. Bertha said, "Neither you nor I can awaken the love of another."

Alejandro arrived at Miranda's house but she wasn't there. Fernanda told him Miranda was unhappy because she may never be a mother. Alejandro said women have value even if they don't have children. Renata told him that Miranda drove to Tabasco alone, and Alejandro worried about that.

Juan told Francisco that he loves Renata. Francisco said he shouldn't let Renata go. Juan remembered seeing Renata kissing Cesar, but wouldn't tell Francisco about it.

Bertha went home and told her dog, "You're the only one who loves me, Lucas." Then I think she said something about "this baby in me"?????? I don't know if she's actually pregnant or if I misunderstood this remark. She broke down in sobs.

The next day, Bertha woke up and told Lucas she didn't want to get up, only to sleep. Cesar phoned her and she said something like, "I'm very sad. Yes, I feel just like you do." After hanging up, she told Lucas, "Today isn't a good day to go out, but with you I don't feel alone."

Veronica made a speech about HIV and safe sex to a room full of young women. Afterward Renata and Erika congratulated her.

Alejandro called Gavino, who told him Miranda hadn't reached the hacienda yet. Actually Miranda was sitting right in front of Gavino. She told Gavino not to let anyone, even her sisters, know that she was at the hacienda. Nati arrived and Miranda asked her to help make chocolate.

Alejandro worried about Miranda's whereabouts, but Luciano said she probably stopped at a motel. Alejandro told Luciano that he accidentally called Miranda "Liliana." Of course, Liliana just happened to be standing outside his office door and overheard him saying this.

Liliana continued to eavesdrop while Alejandro admitted that he thinks Liliana is beautiful. Luciano said he's attracted to Liliana, too, that he "dreams of having her in his arms," and said Alejandro must have thought about Liliana during all those months in jail. Before Alejandro could answer, Liliana breezed into the office and said, "Good day."

Later, when Alejandro and Liliana were alone, Alejandro asked if she would forgive a man who called her by another woman's name. Liliana said no because it would mean the man was subconsciously in love with the other woman.

Alejandro admitted that he accidentally called Miranda "Liliana." Liliana told him he should see an analyst. Alejandro kissed her, and -- surprise! -- Cesar arrived and saw them.

(And the scenes from the next episode showed Cesar using his cellphone to videotape Alejandro kissing Liliana, then emailing it to Miranda!!)

ADDED NOTE: Having watched this episode again, I think maybe Bertha was referring to her inner child, not a pregnancy, but I'm still not sure.

Word from this episode:
floja = lazy woman


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also thought that Berta said something about the baby inside of her and I thought, "HUH???" But upon some reflection I think she might have said something like "I hope that life dries up the tenderness that this baby has awoken in me" meaning that because of being around Florencia's baby she is starting to feel some tenderness which would get in the way of her plotting and scheming to get the Luque fortune. Having those "womanly" feelings would hinder her plans which might include getting rid of the baby or using it as a pawn. I don't know, just a thought.

6:41 PM  
Blogger NONE said...

Thank you, Sylvia! -- your interpretation makes sense. I was surprised to see Bertha showing a somewhat human side in this episode, although, of course, she still really feels sorry only for herself.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home